subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Junior developers
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 17:34:56 GMT

On Feb 17, 2010, at 08:36, dcz wrote:

> Le 17/02/2010 15:24, Andy Levy a écrit :
>>

>> There is no "dry run" for a commit. It's conceivable that you could
>> check the user ID in the pre-commit, and if the committer is JD,
>> reject the commit while mailing a diff to SD which represents the
>> change being attempted. This would require a lot of overhead on the
>> server though.
>>
>> Honestly, I think you're trying to apply an excessively technical
>> solution to a fundamentally non-technical idea.
>>

> You're probably right, I was just thinking that a bit more automation could be handy.
> Though solution 1) is very close to do it, could use a mailing list to warn all SD at
a time and see who handles first.
> I would just have liked to skip the JD "putting together a patch" step and have it done
by the server, but ho well.

I think it would be easy -- for the server or the JD manually -- to put together a patch --
it's simply:

svn di > patchfile

It could even be mailed to the SD straightaway:

svn di | mail sd@example.com

You could try to build this into the pre-commit script, but I'd think the JD would start getting
annoyed that his patch review process keeps giving him negative feedback by telling him "Your
commit was rejected with the following message" (or whatever the verbiage is that Subversion
prints out). I'd also say it's confusing that the JD has to run "svn commit" when he's not
really committing anything to the repository. Instead I'd suggest you write a new script,
call it svnreview.sh or something, and have the JD run that instead. This script runs "svn
di", maybe some other sanity checks first, then sends the email.