subversion-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Weber <ja...@jacobweber.com>
Subject Re: Branch from a branch -- will merges still work?
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:19:33 GMT

On Feb 18, 2010, at 8:00 AM, Rob van Oostrum wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Jacob Weber <jacob@jacobweber.com> wrote:
> My concern is this:
> After we reintegrate from A into trunk, we'll need to revert A to trunk (according to
my understanding of reintegrate merges.) So once we do that, will we still be able to reintegrate
from AA into A, or will their connection be broken?

> Is there a better way to achieve the same result (being able to do new development based
on still-unreleased changes)?

> If you need to keep A around after reintegration to trunk, all you need to do is do a
--record-only merge back to your branch to avoid merge conflicts (caused by the reintegration
merge) when bringing in additional trunk changes.

> No reason your proposed solution couldn't work.

Do you mean that I don't need to delete my branch after a reintegrate, as suggested here:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.basicmerging.html#svn.branchemerge.basicmerging.reintegrate

and that instead, I can just record the revision of the merge as having being merged into
my branch?

You may have just changed my life, sir. :)

Jacob