subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Bloch <bl...@adelphi.edu>
Subject Beginner admin question: organizing repository for student projects
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:37:11 GMT
I want to get my undergraduate students in the habit of using svn,
both for individual projects and for group projects.  I'd like to be
able to create projects that belong to a whole class, and to an
arbitrary subset of students, and to an individual student. And I'd
like to be able to set up the repository once and for all so that I
don't have to reorganize it every semester.  The usual "trunk/
branches/tags" organization didn't seem appropriate, at least at the
top level.  Any advice from people who have set up a system like this?

I was thinking of something like this
users
	joe
	bob
	mary
	etc.
classes
	cs160
	cs171
		thisproject
		thatproject
	cs172
		theotherproject
		thefourthproject
	etc.

Each student would have a directory within users, with full access to
that directory.
Each student would also have read access to the directory for each
class the student was in, and write access to the directories for
projects that the student is involved in.  The instructor of each
class would have write access to the directory for that class.

Is this really stupid?  Am I "not getting" SVN?

Stephen Bloch
sbloch@adelphi.edu