subversion-users mailing list archives

From dcz <...@phpbb-seo.com>
Subject Re: Junior developers
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:36:10 GMT
Le 17/02/2010 15:24, Andy Levy a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 09:19, dcz<dcz@phpbb-seo.com>  wrote:
>
>> Thanks for responding.
>>
>> I was hopping that someone did put something together to handle this.
>> It looks like doable with a pre-commit hook that would have a look in a db
>> (or a file) to find out if the user is JD or SD. For JDs, the commit could
>> be made dry-run, and the script could in such case send a mail to SDs who
>> could later reply to in order to do the actual commit (eg authorize it), or
>> not.
>>
> Hook scripts do not work in this way. They are non-interactive and
> especially in the case of the pre-commit, will block others from
> committing while the hook is executing.
>
> There is no "dry run" for a commit. It's conceivable that you could
> check the user ID in the pre-commit, and if the committer is JD,
> reject the commit while mailing a diff to SD which represents the
> change being attempted. This would require a lot of overhead on the
> server though.
>
> Honestly, I think you're trying to apply an excessively technical
> solution to a fundamentally non-technical idea.

You're probably right, I was just thinking that a bit more automation
could be handy.
Though solution 1) is very close to do it, could use a mailing list to
warn all SD at a time and see who handles first.
I would just have liked to skip the JD "putting together a patch" step
and have it done by the server, but ho well.

Thanks for sharing your thoughs.