subversion-users mailing list archives

From esatel <eli-s...@pacbell.net>
Subject merging trunk to branch merges the whole trunk history
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 03:30:27 GMT
Hi,
I have an svn repository created by converting an old cvs repository
using SVN 1.5.1.

If I do the following:
1. Create a branch  around trunk revision 1598
2. Work a bit further on the trunk and commit (I don't think this is
necessary, but the repository is too busy to exclude)
3. Someone else works and commits on the branch (I don't think this is
necessary)
4. I abandon the trunk and check out the branch fresh
5. cd into the branch
6. svn merge URL_TO_TRUNK

I get conflicts on seemingly every file that got altered at least in the
trunk. Every file in the trunk is involved in the merge and if it isn't
a conflict it is marked "A" for added. One of the progress messages says
this:
--- Merging r2 through 1606 into .

Obviously svn is trying to merge the entire trunk, including thousands
of revisions that should have been part of the branch when it was
created. Or am I doing something wrong?  Is this something that got
fixed after SVN 1.5.1 and if so is an upgrade going to make it work or
is there some repair work needed? (I realize it is infuriating to have
someone ask about 1.5 when you are on 1.6, but I don't have a lot of
admin control at the repository site)?  Should I be doing a "record"
merge, and if so what would it look like?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me. I really love the new
merge tracking feature and am eager to get past my impasse so I can use it.

Eli