subversion-users mailing list archives

From David Burleson <da...@ephotozine.com>
Subject Ideal Subversion Setup
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:00:41 GMT
<head>

</head>
 face="Verdana">TortoiseSVN for a couple of years now. I work in a team
of 3 web developers on multiple websites. Im starting to wonder if the
way we use subversion and version control is the correct way. So, I
have posted to ask advice on the best way to use Subversion in a web
development team with multiple projects.<br>
We currently each have our own development area on a local web server
for each project. We also each have our own SVNcheckout of each
project. Once we have checked out/updated our 'repo' we drag the
contents over to our development area to work. Once we are finished
working, we drag the files back over to our 'repo' and commit it.<br>
I have a feeling that the better process is to make your development
area the SVNcheckout. My only problems is how subversion and
TortoiseSVN handle symlinks and file/dir permissions. We have a couple
of symlinks for folders like 'images' so we don't have to duplicate the
directories on the webserver and some folders which we upload files too
have 777 permissions and what not. I don't know if subversion or
TortoiseSVN will pass these own and treat the symlink as a symlink and
not a folder, and pass the permission into the 'repo' too.<br>
I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the ideal setup for this
occasion as I'm looking for ways to streamline our development process.<br>
lists, so I apologise if I have/haven't done something correctly to
post this email to the list.<br>
Best Regards,<br>
David<br>
</small>