subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Permission Denied Error on Pre-commit Java hook
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:48:05 GMT
On Dec 15, 2009, at 23:35, DEVELA Brent wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Dec 15, 2009, at 04:14, DEVELA Brent wrote:
>>
>>> I've created my very first hook and what it does is that a Python script calls
a java jar file which then creates a file writes something into it. When it is run as a hook,
I am getting a Permission Denied error. The script runs perfectly when its directly run using
the command line. Any help will be appreciated. How do I get around this security issue? The
SVN resides on a Linux box.

>> How is your repository served -- via apache? or svnserve? As what user is that process
running? Does that user have permission to write to the place where your jar is creating its
file?

> 	Thanks for the reply, My repository is served via apache and the user running it is
www-data. And yes, the user does have rights in the folder. Here's the code I'm trying to
run with the contents of the output.txt file from the python code.

> Python code:
>
> log_cmd='java -jar -Duser.home=/var/www /tmp/integrationtestscript-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar'
> import os
> output = os.popen(log_cmd, 'r').read()
> ofile = open('/tmp/output.txt','w')
> ofile.write(output)
> ofile.close()
>
> JAVA code:
>
> package integrationtestscript;
>
> import com.ibatis.common.jdbc.ScriptRunner;
> import java.io.*;
> import java.sql.SQLException;
> import com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl;
>
> public class App {
>
>        try {
>            System.out.println("Hello World!");
>
>            File f;
>            f=new File("/tmp/myfile.txt");
>            if(!f.exists()){
>                f.createNewFile();
>                System.out.println("New file \"myfile.txt\" has been created to the current
directory");
>            }
>
>            System.out.println("Exit");
>            System.exit(0);
>        } catch (Exception ex) {
>            System.out.println(ex.getMessage());
>        }
>    }
> }
>
> Contents of /tmp/Output.txt after execution as a pre-commit hook.
>
> Hello World!
> Permission denied

So the Python hook script can run, can call the Java code, and can write its output to /tmp/output.txt.
But the Java code cannot create /tmp/myfile.txt. Does /tmp/myfile.txt already exist, and if
so, are its permissions and ownership such that www-data can write to it?

Another possibility: is SELinux enabled? If so, you may need to configure additional things.