subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de>
Subject Re: future of our "experimental" features
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2020 15:46:18 GMT
On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 03:08:35PM +0000, Julian Foad wrote:
> In terms of whether it is visible by default to an users, I agree.  In terms
> of where the source code lives, I don't mind -- I would be equally happy if
> it were on trunk and disabled by a compile time or run time feature flag.
>
> In particular, I think it is important to keep the visible behaviour
> "stable" which implies I think we should stop exposing these experimental
> features by default; and at the same time we don't want to make anything
> more difficult to develop than necessary, so maybe we should not be too
> eager to push things onto branches.

OK, I agree. Keeping things on trunk and hiding them at compile-time
is also less work than moving lots of code around.

So it sounds like we have consensus on the following:

* x-wc-copy-mods should simply be moved out of experimental status
* shelving should be reverted to v1 or hidden at compile- or run-time
* viewspec (in svn info) should be hidden at compile- or run-time

Given the release target date for 1.14 (April) we should be creating
a release branch within the next two weeks at the latest. Otherwise,
we are likely going to miss the 4-week soak window on time for April.

Is anyone able to perform the work necessary for our experimental
features above? I do consider this topic a release blocker, so if
it isn't dealt with soon then we would either have to delay 1.14 or
decide to release with experimental features as-is.