subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SVN-4065 - server should enforce LF normalization for svn:eol-style=native
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2019 09:50:48 GMT
Julian Foad wrote:
> If we want to change this to a repository-level rule, then that implies
> we are changing the repository semantics in a backward-incompatible way
> and we would need to address that (using a format number bump, and an
> upgrade/migration path).  We could discuss that path but I don't think
> anyone's currently pushing for that and I don't see good reason to do
> so, so let's leave that aside.

I want to add something stronger.  It would be a mistake to push
validation of file content against property values into the repos layer
as a new rule about the allowed semantics of repository contents.

It's important to have different levels in the architecture with
strongly defined characteristics, generally with lower layers having
simpler semantics.  Currently the repos layer does not interfere with
file content at all.  That is Good.

The repos layer to a large extent transparent to properties and their
values, though not so much: it has some validation and even
"normalization" of "svn:" property names and values.  I feel this is
generally Bad; there is some room for repos-layer knowledge of
properties but we should have separated the concerns better.

- Julian