subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GitHub pull requests
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2019 12:05:23 GMT
Branko ─îibej wrote:
> Julian Foad wrote:
> > * When the facility to contribute in this way (PRs) is available, it is because
We, the ASF community, have made it so, and we can turn it off if we don't like it.

> [...] we can request that Infra removes *our* GitHub
> mirror, just as we requested in the past that it creates one.

Exactly: our project gets to say what goes for our project.

> I'd rather
> see the ability to submit pull requests disabled for that mirror, though.

Me too. GH, as a closed system, intentionally limits what we can do with it. I'm pretty sure
I asked in the past to turn off PRs and was told that's not possible. I'm pretty sure with
GitLab we could turn off PRs.

> > * I think the PR style of contribution is useful.
>
> I think it is not. This style seems to be designed specifically so that
> contributors have to interact with the community as *little* as
> possible. [...]

That is certainly the effect we get from GitHub's PRs and the ASF non-integration, but it's
not necessarily true of the PR concept in general.

--
- Julian