subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <jul...@foad.me.uk>
Subject Re: Subversion Exception!
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2018 12:55:13 GMT
>> Subversion encountered a serious problem.
>> Please take the time to report this on the Subversion mailing list
[…]
>> https://subversion.apache.org/mailing-lists.html

>It is likely that this is a problem specific to TortoiseSVN, and not
>to core SVN. TortoiseSVN has its own mailinglists, so you should
>report your problem there:
(Cross-posting.)

It makes me sad every time I see this pattern. Software is often frustrating to use, but should
at least aim to be polite to its users. Telling the user "Please do X" and then when the user
does X saying "No, it's no good doing X; do Y" is not polite, and I would not expect anyone
but the most calm, patient and helpful of users to gracefully comply with such a request.

I'm not meaning to criticise Johan but rather our whole system.

Can we please fix this problem. Both:
1) Tsvn please change the message.
2) We should pass on the report to the appropriate place and thank the user for having helped
us. We, the svn commumity, should not ask the user to do that: it's our problem; the user
is the annoyed victim.

That would make me happier.

- Julian