subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Phippard <markp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion Exception!
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2018 16:09:12 GMT

> On Dec 13, 2018, at 10:53 AM, Michael Pilato <cmpilato@collab.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/13/18 10:45 AM, Branko ─îibej wrote:
>> Uh. I forgot about the malfunction handler. However this doesn't really
>> help, other than putting possibly sensitive paths into the crash handler
>> info? We really shouldn't do it this way, users *will* just copy and
>> paste the output tot he 'net.
>
> Ahem.  What Grandpa *meant* to say was:
>
> "Oh, cool!  So there _is_ a way to report the non-canonical path.
> Thanks for figuring this out, Julian!  Unfortunately, it comes at a
> cost, namely that of revealing potentially sensitive paths in the output
> which I strongly suspect will get copied and paste to the 'net.  If we
> could mitigate that part of it, this might turn out to be truly beneficial."
>
> ;-)

Honestly, it seems like complete FUD to me and trying to save face or just be obstinate.

FWIW, I agree with Stefan on all of this.  We should not be doing abort from a library.  Whether
TSVN could do more to avoid it seems like a separate issue.  I do not see why the library
cannot just return a useful error and allow the caller to handle it.

Mark