subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Phippard <markp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion Exception!
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2018 16:37:47 GMT

> On Dec 13, 2018, at 11:30 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>
> Mark Phippard wrote on Thu, 13 Dec 2018 11:09 -0500:
>> FWIW, I agree with Stefan on all of this.  We should not be doing abort
>> from a library.  Whether TSVN could do more to avoid it seems like a
>> separate issue.  I do not see why the library cannot just return a
>> useful error and allow the caller to handle it.
>
> If what you're saying is that we should, whenever possible, use
> SVN_ERR_ASSERT() rather than SVN_ERR_ASSERT_NO_RETURN(), I don't
> think anyone will disagree.  Anyone who wants to make that happen is
> welcome to.

I cannot speak to the code level you are here, but "maybe"?  I think the issue is when an
error happens, as a user of a library I want it to return an error.  Obviously in most scenarios
that is what SVN does today.  But for some of these issues the library just aborts.  So if
you are a GUI function the whole app is killed when this happens which sucks and is just not
very library-like.

If TSVN could get good errors back, Stefan probably would only send them to the TSVN list
and he probably would have fixed these obscure problems years ago.  But when the app just
crashes and leaves only moderate breadcrumbs to help resolve the problem it does not leave
much to go on.

Mark