subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Checkpointing v1 design -- terminology
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2017 12:51:17 GMT
On 04.11.2017 00:21, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> But I don't understand what's the problem that we're trying to solve
> here.  Why is it a problem that "shelf" is a noun and "shelve" a verb?
> And for that matter, why couldn't we use "checkpoint" as a verb?

Traditionally we've striven to appear marginally literate in the text we
produce, that includes command structure. There's no harm in trying to
adhere to that tradition, especially as it does not cost us more than
some chattering on the developers' list.

"Checkpoint" is not a verb. Written English has deteriorated to the
toddler level in the last several decades, but I see no reason for us to
follow suit.

-- Brane