subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <jul...@assembla.com>
Subject Re: Shelving: beyond text changes
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2017 13:54:05 GMT
Julian Foad wrote:
> == What next? == [...]

Re. checkpointing: I only gave a brief synopsis of what a really simple
v1 "checkpointing" might look like, not really enough to judge how well
it will work. I will spend up to a day or so thinking through the
details and write a specific design so we can see better how that idea
will unfold.

Similarly for every one of these developments, in fact.

Another thought: It is important to fix the deficiencies promptly, and
not to leave them as future wishes. In my experience using software that
nominally can do X but actually cannot do X in many real-life scenarios
is a terrible turn-off. Looking at these four current functional
deficiencies of "svn shelve" -- binary files, copies and moves,
directories, and mergeinfo -- while the mergeinfo one is clearly a bug
(we have all the required support code, it just needs connecting up), we
might reasonably want to label the others as "enhancements" from the POV
that we never supported them yet in patch files, but whatever we call
them they are all deficiencies that need enhancing to bring the feature
to the standard where a user can be confident that when they need to
shelve their work then they will actually be able to do so.

- Julian