subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: swig for 1.10.0
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2017 08:36:33 GMT
Stefan Sperling wrote:
> Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>> Shall we bump the release.py swig version to 3.x for 1.10.x?  Currently it
>> points to 2.0.12 which is over 3 years old and AFAICT deprecated upstream
>> (there were no further releases of the 2.x line of swig).
>
> How far widespread is swig 3.0? It is not in OpenBSD ports yet, but perhaps
> those lack behind?
>
> Can both versions be installed at the same time?

Ubuntu 16.04 ("Xenial") packages swig 3 (3.0.8) by default and swig 2
(2.0.12) as well, and both can be installed at the same time.

I have been building and testing releases with only swig 3 installed.

Now when I install swig 2 as well as 3, trunk 'configure' picks up swig
2, and build and test still works (just trying the swig-rb bindings). I
also checked it still works with only swig 2 installed, "just for good
measure".

> Could both versions be supported by us at the same time?

It looks like we already do support both.

I suggest we change 'configure' to pick up the later version when
multiple versions are installed.

- Julian