subversion-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric S. Raymond" <...@thyrsus.com>
Subject Re: svncutter can be removed
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2016 03:43:54 GMT
Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com>:
> Gotcha. How is that different from "svndumpfilter include" ?
>
> Or maybe the latter was created after you started svncutter?

I think it was; svncutter dates back to 2009, possibly earlier.

Another function it has is test load reduction.  There's a 'strip' command
that replaces all content blobs with small unique cookies, leaving all
node structure and metadata intact.

This is very handy when some metadata malformation triggers a bug and
the person reporting wants to send me a smallest-possible repo that will
reproduce it.

Usually the test load can be made still smaller with a 'reduce' operation.
This, essentially, drops all nodes corresponding to plain file changes
that are not adjacent to something interesting, like a copyfrom or directory
creatio or property change. So, the branch topology is preserved.

Always, so far, if a full repository triggers a bug, the stripped and
reduced version does too. And is much easier to pass around and look at.