subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merge 'svnmover' demo tool to trunk
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 22:37:26 GMT
On 12 November 2015 at 17:11, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 4:44 AM, Julian Foad <julianfoad@apache.org> wrote:
>> I want to bring this to trunk because I can't do this on my own. I
>> think it's the number one most important thing that Subversion needs,
>> and so I passionately want to make it work in some way. I have done a
>> big batch of solo thinking and scratched hundreds of sketches on scrap
>> paper, which was productive and resulted in what I think are some good
>> ideas, but there are still some big gaps in how to fit them together
>> into a real Subversion.
>
> A quick perusal shows that this model reads entire files into memory. That
> isn't workable.

Of course reading entire files into memory isn't workable for a real
product, yes, well spotted! But dealing with the file text content is
ancillary to the element-tracking principles that this demo is
demonstrating. Those aspects don't depend on reading the full file
text into memory. That's just one prototyping shortcut among many.

- Julian