subversion-dev mailing list archives

From "C. Michael Pilato" <cmpil...@collab.net>
Subject New 'svn cp --pin-externals' feature compat question.
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2015 15:06:32 GMT
I was reading up on the new 'svn cp --pin-externals' feature in the 1.9
release notes.  Great addition, by the way, and one that I hope to use
myself with ViewVC's release tags.

One question came to mind, though.  The use of the feature appears to
result in pegged externals definitions (as in, @-bearing URLs).  That's
great and obviously the correct approach.  But if I recall correctly, this
means that use of the feature will cause the copy's externals to be written
in a way that older (pre-1.5) clients do not understand.

Is that correct?  If so, I think that's a fine limitation to have -- no
complaints at all here.  But perhaps this merits a mention in the
Compatibility section of the release notes?

-- Mike