subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Philip Martin <philip.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Test suite doesn't detect httpd crashes
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:21:33 GMT
Julian Foad <julianfoad@btopenworld.com> writes:

> The problem I want to highlight here is that our test suite doesn't
> report these crashes. On some runs it reports that some individual
> tests failed, and overall failure, but on other runs it reports no
> individual tests failed, and overall success, even though Apache
> crashed.

If an apache process crashes while one of the threads is processing a
request then I would expect the relevant test to fail because the client
would receive a truncated response.  I think it is also possible for
apache to crash without triggering a test failure: if the crash happens
when accepting a connection and no other threads in the process are
active then I suspect serf's retry logic may simply reconnect to a new
process.

> Do we want to make our test suite detect these crashes, and report
> overall failure even if each of the individual test scenarios
> completed successfully?
>
> It seems to me we should. What do you think?

Yes, if only to alert people that the apache/MPM they are using may have
bugs.

[...]

> or if searching the error_log is the only way to detect these crashes.

I suspect searching the error_log is the only way.

--
Philip Martin | Subversion Committer
WANdisco // *Non-Stop Data*