subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: Official way to create an empty revision
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2014 07:30:10 GMT
Daniel Shahaf wrote:

> Konstantin Kolinko wrote on Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 03:40:51 +0400:
>>  My thought:
>>
>>  svnadmin bump -m "message" REPOS_PATH
>>  svnrdump bump -m "message" URL
>>
>>  The command creates 1 empty revision and thus bumps the repository
>>  revision number. It can be repeated in a loop as necessary.
>
> Two proof-of-concept patches implementing this are attached. [...]

The Subversion project history
starts at revision 836420 in the ASF repository. If I want to clone it,
one use case for this feature would be to initialize my new repository
with 836420 empty revisions. An external loop is going to be slow on
this scale. On my machine with SSD disk, "svnmucc mkdir file://..."
takes 1/8 sec and even "svnadmin delrevprop" takes 1/25 sec, so that's
looking like taking a substantial proportion of a *day* to complete 836420
 commits.

That's one reason why I think the UI should allow specifying how many revisions to create.
Even if an initial implementation with an internal loop is currently no faster, at least it
opens the possibility of changing the implementation later.

- Julian