subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for reducing Subversion's lengthy (and unpredictable) release cycles.
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:29:02 GMT
On 13.06.2013 15:43, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> C. Michael Pilato wrote on Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 15:27:07 +0200:
>> In the interest of serving our user base, we are proposing that each release
>> live on the trunk for at most nine months.  The first six months of this
>> period are open to new features.  In the first three months of the new
>> feature period, large, destabilizing features will be accepted (under the
>> provision that the feature itself is arguably “complete”, which seemingly
>> implies that it was developed on a feature branch maintained with routine
>> sync merges.
> Or, where possible, developed on trunk within #ifdef THAT_FEATURE tags,
> with -DTHAT_FEATURE being disabled by default.

I'd have thought so too, but in fact, we're supposed to be writing a
version control system, so avoiding using branches for their primary
purpose (i.e., isolating lines of development) seems kind of
counter-productive.

Quite frankly, I'm sometimes just a bit bored by all the conditional
blocks in our code.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej | Director of Subversion