subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <danie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Filenames with trailing newlines wreak havoc
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 16:00:01 GMT
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 02:36:15PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> When a file with a trailing newline (ASCII 0x0a) has made its way into
> the repository, there are various areas of the system that exhibit failure
> modes. Failure modes I observed in one particular case are discussed below.

The one thing you didn't explicitly spell out in your mail: the API (svn_fs.h)
considers such filenames valid.  That is, the bug is that the various parts of
the system failed to DTRT with those filenames, rather than that they failed to
reject them.  (Though, as you say, rejecting them may be the practical answer.)