subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Fun side-project: help text and man page from XML
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 18:45:06 GMT
I was recently thinking how much nicer it would be if we could ship 'man' pages that contain
useful descriptions rather than just saying (currently) 'please see the built-in help or the
book'.  It's not a terrible problem as it is, but for a mature project I would like to see
more.

I've often thought it would be nice to generate the help text and the man pages and the reference
section of The Book all from the same source.  So I had a go.

I'm certainly not advocating that we commit the attached patch in its current state, and maybe
we won't ever want to do this, or maybe we will.  I am just putting the idea out for anyone
else to play around with, and see where it goes.

I found it fun.

- Julian

--
Subversion Live 2012 - 2 Days: training, networking, demos & more! http://bit.ly/NgUaRi