subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: svn_fs/svn_repo repository lock API
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:19:20 GMT
On 10.08.2012 10:10, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Philip Martin
> <philip.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> Ben Reser <ben@reser.org> writes:

>> Anything that attempts to write will block either until the freeze is
>> over or some timeout occurs depending on how the writer has been
>> designed.
>>
>> For a live repository with commits going on the command
>>
>>    freeze-program repository -c command
>>
>> causes attempts to take new write-locks to block, waits until existing
>> write-locks are released, and then runs the command with the repository
>> frozen.  When the command finishes the freeze-program exits which
>> unfreezes the repository thus allowing the blocked write-locks to
>> proceed.
> So, say for a standard 1.8 FSFS repository, is there a timeout for
> commits? What's the timeout (is it configurable?)? How will the commit
> fail when it reaches the timeout?

I suppose anything that can make changes to the repository -- commit and
revprop change? -- should, if possible, detect the freeze and
immediately return an appropriate error. That's better than waiting
indefinitely and, worst-case, getting a client-side connection timeout.

-- Brane

http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download