subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Add a 'symlink' node kind in svn_node_kind_t or svn_kind_t
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:03:39 GMT
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 06:19, Julian Foad <julian.foad@wandisco.com> wrote:
> I haven't thought through how this would affect the future of the
> 'svn:special' property.  Were there any plans to make 'svn:special'
> describe special files other than symlinks (devices, pipes, etc.)?

Somebody may have thought about that in the past, and they should be
tarred and feathered. svn:special is an awful hack :-(

Look at it this way: we should have a symlink kind (in svn_kind_t) as
a first-order value, and then we separately worry about how to marshal
that kind around and/or represent it within our
classic/backwards-compat system (read: svn:special). Our current
interfaces should be talking about symlinks. Under the covers, we do
"funny stuff" for that kind of node.

Cheers,
-g