struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <ted.hus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: friday ha ha
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:52:16 GMT
On 4/19/06, Alexandre Poitras <alexandre.poitras@gmail.com> wrote:
> Second, all the comitters have answered your questions very nicely

Yes, we have. Here's a handy summary for future reference:

The Apache Struts project continues to move that the same pace we
always have. We generally run 18 months to 24 months between release
series. The Struts 1.3.x series has already begun, and a 1.3.0 build
is available for testing. From the beginning, there were several teams
that started after us and issued a 1.0 release before Struts 1.0 came
out in June 2001. Other teams do move faster, but faster is not always
better.

We add committers on a regular basis. We use the same protocols as all
other ASF projects. (Right now, there are about thirty active ASF
projects with almost two thousand committers.) ASF projects look for
"people that we believe are devoted to the task and match the human
attitudes required to work well with others, especially in
disagreement". There are no "lead developers" on ASF projects. Every
binding vote counts as much as every other. Voting aside, everyone is
invited to donate patches and participate in the development
discussions. Some ASF projects always post a patch before committing
it. We aren't asking anyone to do something that we wouldn't do
ourselves.

We do *not* consider other projects "competitors". We consider
ourselves colleagues who are trying to solve the same problem in
different ways, in search of better solutions. The Apache Struts
website links to several similar projects, like Wicket and Spring MVC,
and our FAQ encourages visitors to look for the solution that best
serves their own needs. The ASF alone has five web application
framework projects. In the data persistence area, we have four
products now, and a fifth is in the Incubator. For us, it's not about
"competition", it's about a community of developers working together
to find different ways to solve our own problems.

For Apache Struts 2.0, we've had three formal proposals. One of those
turned in to a subproject, Shale (which is nearing a stable release).
Another, Ti, evolved into a merger with one of our colleague projects,
WebWork. As we worked on Ti, which was based on XWork, the lead
WebWork committers mentioned that they would like to join forces with
another framework. At first, Don and I thought that "joining forces"
meant that we would start a new project, but Patrick and Jason wanted
to join Apache Struts instead. So that's the path we followed. We are
not interested in reinventing the wheel. All we want to do is create
and maintain the frameworks that we want to use to build our own
applications.

We do have committers who remain interested in the Struts Action 1.x
codebase. We have 1.x applications in production, just like everyone
else. Most of these applications would not be migrated to Action 2,
but would be maintained in their current form. (I have a stable
application that is based on Struts 1.0, and it works just fine, thank
you very much.) Of course, like anyone else with Action 1.x
applications, the committers are going to be interested in new
extensions, like Strecks, as well as proposals and patches as to how
to continue evolving the 1.x codebase. Anyone actually following
Struts 1.x development knows that we do accept and apply patches on a
regular basis.

In the field, I find that many teams have standardized on Struts 1.1,
and have no wish to change. Struts 1.1 is solving their problems, and
until they have new problems, they are happy campers. Personally, I
don't believe that most teams don't want to update their web
application more than once every two years. It was not our intention
to move slowly, but, in retrospect, I believe that a calm and steady
pace is one reason Struts 1.x remains the most popular web application
framework for Java.

New and improved extensions to Action 1 continue to appear regularly.
In *2006* alone, we've seen the release of Strecks,  JSP Control Tags,
Sprout, Spring Web Flow, DWR, Calyxo, FormDef, and Java Web Parts.
There are dozens of books and literally hundreds of articles available
to help people get started with Action 1 or improve the application
they already have.

For more, see the Apache Struts roadmap FAQ

* http://struts.apache.org/roadmap.html

HTH, Ted.