storm-user mailing list archives

From Adam Honen <a...@viber.com>
Subject Re: Topology is stuck after upgrade to Storm 2.2.0 - how can I analyze what's going on?
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2020 14:13:58 GMT
Hi,

I've managed to resolve this, so it's probably best to share what was the
issue in my case.
As mentioned above, we have our own back pressure mechanism.
It's all controlled from the spout, so I figured out (read: guessed) we're
probably hitting Storm's limit for the Spout's queue.

After increasing topology.executor.receive.buffer.size further, so it
became larger than our own limit (50K in this case) the issue is resolved.

Now, as for identifying this more easily next time, I see in the code that
this configuration is read in WorkerState.mkReceiveQueueMap and sent to the
constructor of JCQueue where a metrics object is created.
Looks like there are some really useful metrics reported there.

So for next time I plan on hooking up to these metrics (either via one of
the built in reporters, or a via new implementation better geared for our
needs) and reporting some of them to our monitoring system.
That should make troubleshooting such issues way simpler.
I haven't tested this part yet and it's not documented here:
https://storm.apache.org/releases/2.2.0/ClusterMetrics.html , but hopefully
it should still work.