storm-user mailing list archives

From Stig Rohde Døssing <stigdoess...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Strange time aggregation behavior exhibited by BaseWindowedBolt
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2019 12:55:09 GMT
> Does the watermark ever gets generated based on actual clock, window
interval
No, not when you're using the .withTimestampField method. The watermark
gets created on a set (wall clock time) interval, but the watermark value
is based on the timestamp values extracted from your tuples. The reason
this behavior makes sense is that when you use .withTimestampField, you're
essentially saying "use the tuple timestamps to keep track of time, instead
of using real wall clock time to keep track of time".

No, if tuples 9 and 10 are the last tuples in the stream, they never get
delivered. The real wall clock time doesn't matter when you use
.withTimestampField. The only way "time passes" for the watermark generator
is if we receive new tuples with newer timestamps. If you want to use real
wall clock time instead, you shouldn't call .withTimestampField. In that
case, the windowing code would be based on real time instead, so 9 and 10
would get delivered as soon as 3 seconds have passed. The disadvantage to
using real time is that processing becomes a little less predictable when
e.g. the machine running the processing is slow, or in case you're
reprocessing old messages.

> that explains why only first few were getting flushed in time window
Great, happy you found the cause.