storm-user mailing list archives

From 이승진 <sweetest...@navercorp.com>
Subject Re: Can I make a bolt to do a batch job?
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2014 08:29:10 GMT
great, I think I have to try this right away.

so the tick tuples are generated periodically and flows through every single executor within
the topology?

I read some articles online just now, and sounds to me like I have to write code for two cases
for every bolt; normal tuple case and tick tuple case.

If my understanding is correct, is there any way to make tick tuple apply to certain bolt
only?

-----Original Message-----
From: "Srinath C"&lt;srinath.c@gmail.com&gt;
To: "user"&lt;user@storm.incubator.apache.org&gt;; "이승진"&lt;sweetest.sj@navercorp.com&gt;;

Sent: 2014-07-11 (금) 17:17:54
Subject: Re: Can I make a bolt to do a batch job?

You could use tick tuples to do that. The bolt can be configured to receive periodic ticks
which you can use to do the batch insert.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 1:35 PM, 이승진 &lt;sweetest.sj@navercorp.com&gt; wrote:

Hi all,
Assume that there are one spout and one bolt.
and spout emits a single log, and bolt stores it into DB for example.

and they are connected using shuffle grouping.
It comes to my mind that if a bolt can wait for 10 tuples to come from spout, and request
batch insert to DB, it might be beneficial performancewise.

Is there any way to make a bolt gather tuples until certain size and do it's job?