storm-user mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Svend's blog - several questions
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 19:10:17 GMT
It’s in maven central:

	<groupId>com.hmsonline</groupId>
	<artifactId>storm-cassandra</artifactId>
	<version>0.4.0-rc4</version>
- Taylor

On Feb 6, 2014, at 2:05 PM, Adrian Mocanu <amocanu@verticalscope.com> wrote:

> Hi Taylor,
> I will give this a try. What is the maven repository for it?
>
> I’ve found several ones:
> "com.hmsonline" % "hms-cassandra-rest" % "1.0.0"
> "com.github.ptgoetz" % "storm-cassandra" % "0.1.2"
>
> And now
> "com.hmsonline" % "storm-cassandra" % "0.4.0-rc4"
> from
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.hmsonline/storm-cassandra
>
> -A

MapState implementation, but theres a unit test that demonstrates basic usage:

> https://github.com/hmsonline/storm-cassandra/blob/master/src/test/java/com/hmsonline/storm/cassandra/bolt/CassandraMapStateTest.java
>
> Basically, you just need to point it to a keyspace + column family where the state data
will be stored.

> - Taylor
>
> On Feb 6, 2014, at 3:25 AM, Svend Vanderveken <svend.vanderveken@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> The logic of a map state is to keep a "state" somewhere, you can think of a Storm state
as a big Map of key values, the keys come from the groupBy and the values are the result of
the aggregations. Conceptually, when your topology is talking to a State, you can imagine
it's actually talking to a big HashMap (only there's a DB behind for persistence + opaque
logic for error handling).

> Most of the time, I try not to have any other part of my product that actually depends
on the location or structure the data is stored in DB, so I do not really need to be super
specific about the storage stucture: that is up to the IBackingMap implementation I am delegating
to. Read or write access to the DB is done via the Storm primitive, not by accessing the DB
directly. Don't forget there's also the stateQuery primitive you can use to read you stored
state from another place.

clear storm-cassandra doc to see how to do that with this implementation:https://github.com/hmsonline/storm-cassandra

> My blog post of last year is indeed illustrating a full implementation including an in-house
IBackingMap  implementation, I think that approach is sometimes needed when we want fine grained
control over things. I should have made more clear that this is not necessarily the default
approach to have.

> I hope this makes sense now.

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Adrian Mocanu <amocanu@verticalscope.com> wrote:
> Thank you Svend and Adam.
>
> Svend I’m your reader and that tutorial is very useful. I’ve been spending lots of
time looking at the code and that blog post.

> BTW I initially thought you were adding the nulls incorrectly in Q3 below, but now I
see you’re doing it correctly.

> I have a follow up question:
> Why do you say that “we do not implement multiget/multiput, we just take an existing
implementation for Cassandra or Memcached or anything and they do what's right for that backend.”

> I thought that I had to rewrite an IBackingMap implementation to correspond to the tuples
and schema I have in my database. I use Cassandra.
> I started with com.hmsonline.storm.cassandra.trident.CassandraState or trident.cassandra.CassandraState
(they both implement IBackingMap) and I replaced multiGet and multiPut to match my db schema.
(well, I’m trying to do it)

> You are saying I can use CassandraState as it is? :D
> If so how would it even know what table my data should go into? It allows you to set
the column family and a few other things where state will be saved (keyspace, column family,
replication, rowKey). By state I think it means sth like txID (transaction ID). Do you by
any chance know what this state that CassandraState is saving is?
> So as you can tell I have no idea how to use CassandraState.
>
> Thanks again!
> -A

multiple times and I have a few questions.

> So you are my reader! Great :D
> (you can post your questions on the blog itself, I'm more likely to spot it there)
>

> "Because we did a groupBy on one tuple field, each List contains here one single
> String: the correlationId. Note that the list we return must have exactly the same
> size as the list of keys, so that Storm knows what period corresponds to what key.
> So for any key that does not exist in DB, we simply put a null in the resulting list."
>
> Q1: Do the db keys come only from groupBy?
>
> Yes, the key values arriving in the multiget are the field value by which we are grouping
> do  groupBy (new Fields("color")) and you get things like "blue"; "green", "flowerly
romantic red"...

> Q2: Can you do groupBy multiple keys:like .groupBy("name").groupBy("id") ?
>
> yes, the syntax is like this:
>
> groupBy (new Fields("name", "id"))
>
> That's the reason the keys in the multiget are List<Object> and not simply Object.
We receive them in the order they specified in the topology definition

> Q3: When we add null we keep the size of the results list the same as they keys list
but I don't understand how we make sure that key(3) points to correct result(3).
> After all we're adding nulls at the end of result list not intermitently. ie: if
> key(1) does not have an entry in db, and key size is 5, we add null to last position
> in results not to results(1). This doesn't preserve consistency/order so key(1) now
> gives result(1) which is not null as it should be. Is the code incorrect ... or the
> explanation on Svend's blog is incorrect?
>

> The order should indeed be respected, so if the strategy to handling error DB error in
a multi-get is to put nulls, that they should indeed be at index corresponding to the problematic
key. Is there part of my toy project code who is padding nulls at the end? If so that's indeed
a bug, please let me know where (or better, fork and send me a pull request)

> Note that I'm not particularly recommending to put nulls in case of unrecoverable errors
in a multi-get, that's actually a simplistic way of handling the error. The contract with
storm is either to fail either to return a list of the correct size in the correct order.
The data itself and its semantic is up to the topology implementation, i.e. up to us.

> Moving on,
> "Once this is loaded Storm will present the tuples having the same correlation ID
> one by one to our reducer, the PeriodBuilder"
>
> Q4: Does Trident/Storm call the reducer after calling multiGet and before calling multiPut?
>
> yes
>
> Q5: What params (and their types) are passed to the reducer and what parameters should
it emit so they can go into multiGet?

> the reducer is called iteratively, it starts with the state found from DB (returned by
the multiget) and the first grouped tuple, then the second, then the third... until the last
tuple. The return value of the last call of the reducer is what is provided to the multiput,
for the same key as the multiget.

> "reduce" is actually a very common pattern in functional programming, which us java programming
are sometimes less aware of. Look up some general doc on "reduce", the storm approach to it
is very traditional, i.e. Storm has defined the "reduce" primitive exactly the way many other
tools are defining that primitive

> Q6: The first time the program is run the database is empty and multiGet will return
nothing.
> Does the reducer need to take care and make sure to insert for the first time as opposed
to update value? I do see that reducer (TimelineUpdater) checks for nulls and I'm guessing
this is the reason why it does so.

> Exactly.
>
> That's also why returning null in case of error in the multiget is questionable and probably
not what you would systematically do: it is equivalent to saying: there's garbage in persistence
for that key, so let's just consider there's nothing. The actually proper thing to do depends
on the task at hand, but actually, such error in multiget is ofter a symptom that we stored
garbage in persistence in the past due to some other, it's too late to correct it now.