storm-dev mailing list archives

From Stig Rohde Døssing <stigdoess...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x release
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2019 12:35:57 GMT
Ethan,

I think the idea has been that master is just the latest unreleased
version. The same goes for 1.x-branch, which is the latest unreleased 1.x
version (so 1.2.4 right now). I think we've been branching when necessary
rather than proactively, so e.g. when work requiring breaking changes to
1.x started, the 1.x-branch was created and master became 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT. I
don't see an issue branching proactively by cutting a 2.1.x-branch
immediately, but I'm not sure it's necessary. It means that any change
going in 2.1.1 needs to be merged to master and also 2.1.x, instead of
master just being 2.1.x until we need to bump to 2.2.x. I see it as just
adding an extra unnecessary branch, because until master contains something
that should go in 2.2.x and not 2.1.x, the branches have the same contents.
Branching at the point where 2.2.x and 2.1.x would diverge makes more sense
IMO.

I think at least for 2.1.0, I'd rather we ask users to upgrade to 2.1.0.
Otherwise, we need to create the 2.0.x branch from v2.0.0 and then go
cherry pick any changes that are already in master that should be in a
2.0.1 release. Is there anything in 2.1.0 that's risky enough that we want
to put the effort of also doing a 2.0.1 in?

Derek,

I think the period of support so far has been based mostly around whether
anyone wants to put in the work to support old branches. We've been
dropping support once no one shows an interest in supporting the old
branches anymore.

When you say a branch is LTS, I assume you mean we're promising to keep
putting out bugfix releases for that line? It seems like a fine idea,
assuming we limit ourselves to a couple of branches (maintaining 2.x and a
bunch of 1.x branches has been unpleasant in the past, but that probably
has more to do with slow release cadence). Regarding setting a date for
when a release line will no longer be supported, I'm not sure how easy it
is to set a date up front. For instance, I would have a hard time setting a
date for the end of 2.x support until there's a 3.x release on the horizon.

If we're going to promise that a release line survives for a given amount
of time, I think we should do it at the major version level only, this also
seems to be what Traffic Server is doing. If we're following semver,
upgrading to minor versions should be safe, and I don't see the value of
promising to maintain e.g. both 2.0.x and 2.1.x for long periods.

Where on the Traffic Server page do they list how long their release trains
survive? I only see dates of release, not how long e.g. 7.x is supposed to
receive support.

Den fre. 9. aug. 2019 kl. 00.15 skrev Derek Dagit <dagit@apache.org>:

> What do we think about defining Long-Term Support branches with a fixed
> period of support?
>
> For example, we could say 2.0.x is an LTS release line with support
> ending no earlier than a certain calendar date.
>
> The date could be extended, and it might ultimately be governed by the
> timing of the subsequent release (e.g., 2.1.x or 3.0.x). Keeping things
> clear would imply semantic versioning as mentioned earlier
> (https://semver.org/).
>
> Apache Traffic Server does something like this, to name one project:
>
> https://trafficserver.apache.org/downloads
>
> Having a regular cadence of releases might also help make the process
> easier and help set expectations for users and devs.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 02:50:07PM -0500, Ethan Li wrote:
> >
> > Currently we don’t have a 2.0.x-branch and master is actually
> “2.0.1-SNAPSHOT”.
> >
> > So if we  do a 2.1.0 release,  we will create a 2.1.x-branch based on
> current master, release from there. And we change master to
> “2.2.0-SNAPSHOT”.
> >
> > But we will have one problem: we will lose 2.0.x release line.
> >
> > There are two things I can do:
> >
> > 1) create a 2.0.x-branch based on v2.0.0 tag.
> >
> > 2) ignore it. If there is an issue with 2.0.x release,  ask users to
> upgrade to 2.1.0.
> >
> > I prefer 1) but not sure if it’s the right way to make things right. Or
> please let me know if I misunderstood something and it’s not an issue.
> >
> > Btw, I am seeing the same issue with 1.x-branch. We shouldn’t have
> 1.x-branch. Instead, we should have 1.2.x-branch. But this is not a problem
> since we will not release 1.3.x.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ethan
> >

> > > On Aug 7, 2019, at 10:43 AM, Ethan Li <ethanopensource@gmail.com>