storm-dev mailing list archives

From Derek Dagit <da...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Next 2.x release
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2019 19:53:53 GMT
> We might not able to say how long we want to support a specific
> release line but I would love to see a clear release policy being
> made.

That makes sense. It seems better for us not to choose a specific
calendar date or duration of time.

- We do not want too many release lines supported concurrently.
- We want devs and users to know what to expect.

--
Derek

On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 10:32:59AM -0500, Ethan Li wrote:

> Derek,
>
> I think it’s a good idea to be more clear on the versioning and release process so
users and developers know what to expect. We might not able to say how long we want to support
a specific release line but I would love to see a clear release policy being made.

> Thanks,
> Ethan
>
> > On Aug 9, 2019, at 8:53 AM, Derek Dagit <dagit@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 02:35:57PM +0200, Stig Rohde Døssing wrote:
> >> Where on the Traffic Server page do they list how long their release
> >> trains survive? I only see dates of release, not how long e.g. 7.x is
> >> supposed to receive support.  Derek,
> >
> > This is a better link: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TS/Release+Management
> >
> > This example, where "RM" means "Release Manager":
> >
> >> 1. We promise to make 1 major release / year, but the RM and community
> >>   can of course make more as necessary
> >>
> >> 2. We only make releases off the LTS branches, which are cut once a
> >>   year off master
> >>
> >> 3. Master is always open, for any type of change (including
> >>   incompatible changes). But don't break compatibility just for fun!
> >>
> >> 4. Master is always stable, i.e. commits should be properly tested and
> >>   reviewed before committed to master.
> >>
> >> 5. All releases are stable releases, following strict Semantic
> >>   Versioning.
> >>
> >> 6. Minor releases are made at the discretion at the discretion of the
> >>   community and the RM.
> >>
> >> 7. Minor releases can include new (small / safe) features, but must be
> >>   compatible within the LTS major version.
> >>
> >> 8. The LTS cycle, 2 years + 6 months Sunset, does not reset when we
> >>    make a minor release.
> >

> > Now, I am not proposing we do exactly this. The goal would be to set
> > expectations among developers and the community, and here is one
> > concrete example of how it could be done.
> >
> >> If we're going to promise that a release line survives for a given
> >> amount of time, I think we should do it at the major version level
> >> only
> >
> > Yeah, that sounds reasonable to me. If we choose to commit to something
> > like the above, we should base the decision in part on what kind of
> > resources we have so that we do not over-commit.

Or

do in anticipation
guarantee a stable

Døssing <