storm-dev mailing list archives

From Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: The role of supervisor in Storm
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2014 16:30:49 GMT
The supervisor will launch, kill and monitor worker processes.  The monitoring is done through
heartbeat files that the worker process writes out periodically and the supervisor reads in.
 The supervisor itself is expected to be run under supervision.  This means that you need
an external process that will restart the supervisor if it goes down for any reason.  We use
daemontools (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemontools) but there are several other tools that
work to do the same sort of thing.

As for the hieroglyphs http://clojure.org/cheatsheet might be an OK rosetta stone for you.

- Bobby

From: jeff saremi <jeffsaremi@hotmail.com<mailto:jeffsaremi@hotmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, July 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM
To: "dev@storm.incubator.apache.org<mailto:dev@storm.incubator.apache.org>" <dev@storm.incubator.apache.org<mailto:dev@storm.incubator.apache.org>>,
"user@storm.incubator.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.incubator.apache.org>" <user@storm.incubator.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.incubator.apache.org>>
Subject: The role of supervisor in Storm

I posted another note earlier asking for hints and links on in-depth architecture documentation.
I didn't get any responses. Which probably means I am the only one with this problem.
So i'll just go ahead and ask specific questions:

What is the role of the supervisor? I know that it starts and stops the worker processes.
But does it monitor them? how? Who monitors the supervisor itself if it goes down? Launching
something with "%java storm something" is referred to as launching the item (nimbus) under
supervision. Can anything be launched like that? Is Supervisable an interface? or a protocol?

I tried reading the supervisor's code but it looked like hieroglyphs to me.

thanks
Jeff