storm-dev mailing list archives

From Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Pulling "Contrib" Modules into Apache
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:35:46 GMT
I can see a lot of value in having a distribution of storm that comes with batteries included,
everything is tested together and you know it works.  But I don’t see much long term developer
benefit in building them all together.  If there is strong coupling between storm and these
external projects so that they break when storm changes then we need to understand the coupling
and decide if we want to reduce that coupling by stabilizing APIs, improving version numbering
and release process, etc.; or if the functionality is something that should be offered as
a base service in storm.

I can see politically the value of giving these other projects a home in Apache, and making
them sub-projects is the simplest route to that.  I’d love to have storm on yarn inside
Apache.  I just don’t want to go overboard with it.  There was a time when HBase was a “contrib”
module under Hadoop along with a lot of other things, and the Apache board came and told Hadoop
to brake it up.

Bringing storm-kafka into storm does not sound like it will solve much from a developer’s
perspective, because there is at least as much coupling with kafka as there is with storm.
 I can see how it is a huge amount of overhead and pain to set up a new project just for a
few hundred lines of code, as such I am in favor of pulling in closely related projects, especially
those that are spouts and state implementations. I just want to be sure that we do it carefully,
with a good reason, and with enough people who are familiar with the code to support it long
term.

If it starts to look like we are pulling in too many projects perhaps we should look at something
more like the bigtop project  https://bigtop.apache.org/ which produces a tested distribution
of Hadoop with many different sub-projects included in it.

I am also a bit concerned about these sub-projects becoming second class citizens, where we
break something, but because the build is off by default we don’t know it.  I would prefer
that they are built and tested by default.  If the build and test time starts to take too
long, to me that means we need to start wondering if we have too many contrib modules.

—Bobby