storm-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Lewis <m...@adamlewis.com>
Subject Re: http-client version conflict
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 02:28:05 GMT
My $0.02 on this subject:

Without going down the path of class loader or OSGi mania and becoming a
full container, I'd definitely be in favor of storm relocating its own
dependencies.  In this way edge cases around things like reflection can be
handled once within storm rather than burdening every topology builder with
those details.  Part of the problem seems to be that storm makes extensive
use (directly or transitively) of a lot of go-to utility libraries like
guava, thrift, jodatime, json-simple, snakeyaml, commons-io, etc... I'm
sure that leveraging these libraries allowed storm's development to proceed
rapidly, but from a maturity perspective, it is problematic to impose these
version choices on users.  And while I might want Storm to, say, try to
track the latest Guava version, that same policy could be very problematic
for others.

If storm can relocate even some of its own dependencies, I think that would
be a great help to me at least.  Longer term, I wonder how much of some of
these libraries are really being used.  For example, is clj-time (and by
extension joda-time) really needed? Or just a small fraction of the
functionality in that library?  I can probably pitch in some of the effort
required to do this, if this is the direction people want to go in.