storm-dev mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: http-client version conflict
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 01:44:58 GMT
I’m glad the shader plugin worked for you.

Updating dependencies can be tricky as it can easily introduce regressions.

Ultimately we need to figure out the best solution to avoiding conflicts between user code
(i.e. dependencies in topology jar files) and Storm’s libraries.

The classloader approach has been attempted, but IMO Storm’s use of serialization complicates
things significantly. Package relocation seems to be a relatively lightweight solution.

If that’s a direction we pursue, then it introduces the question of whether Storm should
relocate its dependencies, or if that should be left up to the user (topology developer).

Elastic Search has gone down the path of relocating some of their dependencies [1] (not necessarily
an endorsement, just an observation).

I’ve CC’d dev@ since this is all related to the infamous issue #115, which is now STORM-129
[2].

- Taylor

[1] https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/blob/master/pom.xml#L474
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-129

On Feb 6, 2014, at 7:25 PM, Vinay Pothnis <vinay.pothnis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you all for replies! The shader-plugin solution seems to work for us.
>
> I wonder if we can create a JIRA ticket for storm to upgrade the http-client library
as part of their next release.

> -Vinay
>

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Michael Rose <michael@fullcontact.com> wrote:
> We've done this with SLF4j and Guava as well without issues.
>
> Michael Rose (@Xorlev)
> Senior Platform Engineer, FullContact
> michael@fullcontact.com
>

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Mark Greene <mark@evertrue.com> wrote:
> We had this problem as well. We modified our chef cookbook to just replace the older
version with the newer one and storm didn't complain or have any other issues as a result.

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:31 AM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Your best bet is probably  to use the shade plugin to relocate the http-client package
so it doesn’t conflict with the version storm uses.

> Storm does this with the libtrhift dependency in storm-core:
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-storm/blob/master/storm-core/pom.xml#L220
>
> (You can ignore the clojure transformer in that config, unless you have non-AOT clojure
code that uses the http-client library).