storm-dev mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Pulling "Contrib" Modules into Apache
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2014 22:22:55 GMT
I purposely left out storm-starter from the discussion to keep things focused, and because
it’s a different animal. But I also feel it should be pulled in, albeit differently. I was
thinking something along the lines of an “examples” directory, and that all committers
would share collective ownership/responsibility.

I haven’t thought to much yet about the others (storm-yarn, etc.), but I think that warrants
a discussion as well.

Personally, I’d be willing to sponsor modules for Cassandra, HDFS, HBase, and JMS.

I also contacted the author of storm-kafka-0.8-plus, and he is willing to contribute that
work and help with maintenance.

Regarding the juju charms issue [1], my intent wasn’t to shoot it down entirely (which is
why I left it open), but rather make it clear that it’s not a priority at this point in
time. I’ll admit that it was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that someone from
Canonical essentially spammed a bunch of Apache projects with the same request. It also seemed
not unlike a request for us to maintain .rpm and .deb packages,  etc., which is a path I’d
be very hesitant to go down.

- Taylor

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-240

On Feb 26, 2014, at 4:25 PM, Bobby Evans <evans@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> I totally agree and I am +1 on bringing these spout/trident pieces in, assuming there
are committers to support them.

> I am also curious about how people feel about pulling in other projects like storm-starter,
storm-deploy, storm-mesos, and storm-yarn?

> Storm-starter in my option seems more like documentation and it would be nice to pull
in so that it stays up to date with storm itself, just like the documentation.

> The others are more of ways to run storm in different environments.  They seem like there
could be a lot of coupling between them and storm as storm evolves, and they kind of fit with
"integrate storm with *Technology X*” except X in this case is a compute environment instead
of a data source or store. But then again we also just shot down a request to create juju
charms for storm.

> —Bobby
>
> From: "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgoetz@gmail.com<mailto:ptgoetz@gmail.com>>
> Date: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 1:21 PM
> To: <dev@storm.incubator.apache.org<mailto:dev@storm.incubator.apache.org>>
> Cc: "user@storm.incubator.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.incubator.apache.org>" <user@storm.incubator.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.incubator.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Pulling "Contrib" Modules into Apache
>
> Thanks for the feedback Bobby.
>
> To clarify, I’m mainly talking about spout/bolt/trident state implementations that
integrate storm with *Technology X*, where *Technology X* is not a fundamental part of storm.

> Examples would be technologies that are part of or related to the Hadoop/Big Data ecosystem
and enable the Lamda Architecture, e.g.: Kafka, HDFS, HBase, Cassandra, etc.

> The idea behind having one or more Storm committers act as a “sponsor” is to make
sure new additions are done carefully and with good reason. To add a new module, it would
require committer/PPMC consensus, and assignment of one or more sponsors. Part of a sponsor’s
job would be to ensure that a module is maintained, which would require enough familiarity
with the code so support it long term. If a new module was proposed, but no committers were
willing to act as a sponsor, it would not be added.

> It would be the Committers’/PPMC’s responsibly to make sure things didn’t get out
of hand, and to do something about it if it does.

> Here’s an old Hadoop JIRA thread [1] discussing the addition of Hive as a contrib module,
similar to what happened with HBase as Bobby pointed out. Some interesting points are brought
up. The difference here is that both HBase and Hive were pretty big codebases relative to
Hadoop. With spout/bolt/state implementations I doubt we’d see anything along that scale.

> - Taylor
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3601
>

> On Feb 26, 2014, at 12:35 PM, Bobby Evans <evans@yahoo-inc.com<mailto:evans@yahoo-inc.com>>
wrote:

> I can see a lot of value in having a distribution of storm that comes with batteries
included, everything is tested together and you know it works.  But I don’t see much long
term developer benefit in building them all together.  If there is strong coupling between
storm and these external projects so that they break when storm changes then we need to understand
the coupling and decide if we want to reduce that coupling by stabilizing APIs, improving
version numbering and release process, etc.; or if the functionality is something that should
be offered as a base service in storm.

> I can see politically the value of giving these other projects a home in Apache, and
making them sub-projects is the simplest route to that.  I’d love to have storm on yarn
inside Apache.  I just don’t want to go overboard with it.  There was a time when HBase
was a “contrib” module under Hadoop along with a lot of other things, and the Apache board
came and told Hadoop to brake it up.

> Bringing storm-kafka into storm does not sound like it will solve much from a developer’s
perspective, because there is at least as much coupling with kafka as there is with storm.
 I can see how it is a huge amount of overhead and pain to set up a new project just for a
few hundred lines of code, as such I am in favor of pulling in closely related projects, especially
those that are spouts and state implementations. I just want to be sure that we do it carefully,
with a good reason, and with enough people who are familiar with the code to support it long
term.

> If it starts to look like we are pulling in too many projects perhaps we should look
at something more like the bigtop project  https://bigtop.apache.org/ which produces a tested
distribution of Hadoop with many different sub-projects included in it.

> I am also a bit concerned about these sub-projects becoming second class citizens, where
we break something, but because the build is off by default we don’t know it.  I would prefer
that they are built and tested by default.  If the build and test time starts to take too
long, to me that means we need to start wondering if we have too many contrib modules.

> —Bobby
>
> From: Brian Enochson <brian.enochson@gmail.com<mailto:brian.enochson@gmail.com><mailto:brian.enochson@gmail.com>>
> Date: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 9:50 PM
> To: "user@storm.incubator.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.incubator.apache.org><mailto:user@storm.incubator.apache.org>"
<user@storm.incubator.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.incubator.apache.org><mailto:user@storm.incubator.apache.org>>
> Cc: "dev@storm.incubator.apache.org<mailto:dev@storm.incubator.apache.org><mailto:dev@storm.incubator.apache.org>"
<dev@storm.incubator.apache.org<mailto:dev@storm.incubator.apache.org><mailto:dev@storm.incubator.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Pulling "Contrib" Modules into Apache
>
> hi,
>  I am in agreement with Taylor and believe I understand his intent. An incredible tool/framework/application
like Storm is only enhanced and gains value from the number of well maintained and vetted
modules that can be used for integration and adding further functionality.
> I am relatively new to the Storm community but have spent quite some time reviewing contributing
modules out there, reviewing various duplicates and running into some version incompatibilities.
I understand the need to keep Storm itself pure, but do think there needs to be some structure
and governance added to the contributing modules. Look at the benefit a tool like npm brings
to the node community.
> I like the idea of sponsorship, vetting and a community vote.  I, as sure many would
be, am willing to offer support and time to working through how to set this up and helping
with the implementation if it is decided to pursue some solution.
> I hope these views are taken in the sprit they are made, to make this incredible system
even better along with the surrounding eco-system.

> Thanks,
> Brian
>

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com<mailto:ptgoetz@gmail.com><mailto:ptgoetz@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Just to be clear (and play a little Devil’s advocate :) ), I’m not suggesting that
whatever a “contrib” project/module/subproject might  become, be a clearinghouse for anything
Storm-related.

> I see it as something that is well-vetted by the Storm community, subject to PPMC review,
vote, etc. Entry would require community review, PPMC review, and in some cases ASF IP clearance/legal
review. Anything added would require some level of commitment from the PPMC/committers to
provide some level of support.

> In other words, nothing “willy-nilly”.
>
> One option could be that any module added require (X > 0)  number of committers to
volunteer as “sponsor”s for the module, and commit to maintaining it.

> That being said, I don’t see storm-kafka being any different from anything else that
provides integration points for Storm.

> -Taylor
>

> On Feb 25, 2014, at 7:53 PM, Nathan Marz <nathan@nathanmarz.com<mailto:nathan@nathanmarz.com><mailto:nathan@nathanmarz.com>>
wrote:

> I'm only +1 for pulling in storm-kafka and updating it. Other projects put these contrib
modules in a "contrib" folder and keep them managed as completely separate codebases. As it's
not actually a "module" necessary for Storm, there's an argument there for doing it that way
rather than via the multi-module route.