One more thing we can try is before committing offset we can verify the latest offset of that partition(in zookeeper) with fromOffset in OffsetRange.
Just a thought...

Let me know if it works..

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Cody Koeninger <cody@koeninger.org> wrote:
If you want to make sure that your offsets are increasing without gaps... one way to do that is to enforce that invariant when you're saving to your database.  That would probably mean using a real database instead of zookeeper though.