Hello,
I looked around on the web and I couldn’t find any way to deal in a structured way with malformed/faulty records during computation. All I was able to find was the flatMap/Some/None technique + logging.
I’m facing this problem because I have a processing algorithm that extracts more than one value from each record, but can fail in extracting one of those multiple values, and I want to keep track of them. Logging is not feasible because this “warning” happens so frequently that the logs would become overwhelming and impossibile to read.
Since I have 3 different possible outcomes from my processing I modeled it with this class hierarchy:
That holds result and/or warnings.
Since Result implements Traversable it can be used in a flatMap, discarding all warnings and failure results, in the other hand, if we want to keep track of warnings, we can elaborate them and output them if we need.

Kind Regards
#A.M.