spark-user mailing list archives

From Tathagata Das <t...@databricks.com>
Subject Re: Does using Custom Partitioner before calling reduceByKey improve performance?
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2015 00:07:40 GMT
If you just want to control the number of reducers, then setting the
numPartitions is sufficient. If you want to control how exact partitioning
scheme (that is some other scheme other than hash-based) then you need to
implement a custom partitioner. It can be used to improve data skews, etc.
which ultimately improves performance.