poi-user mailing list archives

From David North <dtn-...@corefiling.co.uk>
Subject Floating-point behaviour - difference between POI and Excel?
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:55:32 GMT
Consider the attached xlsx spreadsheet.

The value in sheet 1, cell A1, looks like this in the XML:

<v>62408.000000000007</v>

This is stripped down from a real spreadsheet supplied by one of my
users. I think that value was the result of a calculation.

Now, when opening the attached sheet in Excel 2010 or 2013, the UI shows
the value in cell A1 as:

62408

No matter how I format it, the UI refuses to acknowledge or display the
.000000000007 in the underlying file.

However, when reading this cell using POI, getNumericCellValue returns

62408.00000000001

Is this correct?

If I enter the formula =62408-A1 in Excel, the value serialized is
<v>0</v>, which strongly suggests Excel is reading 62408 as the closest
number to the serialized data. So it would be ideal if POI did likewise.

Thanks,
David

--
David North, Technical Lead, CoreFiling Limited
http://www.corefiling.com