perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <phark...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: writing CGI::Session sessions only when necessary
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:45:59 GMT
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Jonathan Swartz <SWARTZ@pobox.com> wrote:
> On our site we create a new CGI::Session object at the beginning of the
> request, so that it can be used anywhere in the web code.
>
> However, sessions are rarely written to, so at the end of the request I'd
> like to avoid actually writing out a new session to backing store unless a
> param actually got set.

It might be simpler to just write immediately when you set a param.
It's simple and foolproof, and it's only a negative for performance if
you normally set multiple params in a single request.

If your ultimate goal is to fix performance on your servers, I'd
recommend looking at using encrypted data in a cookie and ditching
server-side session storage.

- Perrin