perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] segfault when using IO::Socket::INET from within mod_perl1.9915
Date Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:28:29 GMT
Adam Worrall wrote:
> I'd be grateful for any ideas on where to push this next. I have a
> dodgy workaround, but it doesn't make me all that comfortable !
>
> -------------8<---------- Start Bug Report ------------8<----------
> 1. Problem Description:

Thanks for the detailed report, Adam :)

> Using IO::Socket::INET->new() causes a SIGSEGV
>
> The test code is pretty simple ...
>   my $sock = IO::Socket::INET->new ({'Proto' => 'tcp',
>                                      'PeerAddr' => 'localhost',
>                                      'PeerPort' => 80});
>
> The problem seems to be down in libnss. It seems to get confused
> just after opening (the non-existent) /var/db/protocols.db, and
> then SISGEGVs. The same libnss works fine outside of mod_perl,
> via the same Perl & IO::Socket::INET; I guess there might be some
> interaction between mod_perl/Apache and libnss.
>
> libnss is part of libc, which for me is version 2.2.3 (slackware 9.1).
>
> The symptom vanishes by configuring /etc/nsswitch.conf to only
> use files for protocols (just delete the 'db' bit :), but I'm
> worried that the problem is still lying around, and could surface
> as some other random SIGSEGV.
>
> I've used the bug template, and have a dist available at:
>   <http://worrall.cc/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp2.tar.gz>

Before we try that, is it possible that when you are running under mp2 a
different set of libraries get loaded? e.g. if Apache is linked against
conflicting set of the libs with the same names, but different versions?
Have you tried comparing the output of ldd on httpd, perl and
IO/Socket.so, it also could be statically linked.