perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "G.W. Haywood" <...@jubileegroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: "use lib" statements in startup.pl
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2000 18:38:24 GMT
Hi again,

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 jmeltze@vipcompute.com wrote:

> Well, I did not see the message in my error_log, but I DID see it at
> the command line:

I thought about it a bit => more info.

When Apache isn't already running, it sends the output from startup.pl
etc. for STDERR to the terminal that is trying to start it.  That's
because the configuration files haven't been completely parsed at this
point and Apache doesn't know whether or not they're broken.  If it's
already running, it sends the output to the error_log instead because
it knows its current configuration is OK - but it doesn't know about
the (possibly new and exciting) configuration it's reading.  If you
think about it for long enough it makes sense.  You're just sending
different signals to httpd through apachectl, some of which (e.g.
`apachectl graceful') will not stop Apache, if it's already running.

Then I found it best to stop thinking about it, and do something else.

How are you getting on?

73,
Ged.