orc-user mailing list archives

From Zhiyuan Dong <zhiyuan.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: access entire column in ORC files
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2019 18:50:14 GMT
Many Thanks Gang!!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 20, 2019, at 11:52 AM, Gang Wu <ustcwg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To read the desired type of each column, you just need to cast the base orc::ColumnVectorBatch,
which you get from rowReader->next(), to its desired type. You can dynamic_cast to orc::LongVectorBatch
for int64 and orc::StringVectorBatch for char *, check the API here:  https://github.com/apache/orc/blob/4e7d9c2e126cebd075f51b9d6ab2c30f4c8943c0/c%2B%2B/include/orc/Vector.hh#L41

> Gang
>
>> On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 9:36 AM Zhiyuan Dong <zhiyuan.dong@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Owen,
>>
>> Let me follow the github example link you provided.
>>
>> Appreciate the prompt response. Many thanks!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Zhiyuan
>>
>>> On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 11:09 AM Owen O'Malley <owen.omalley@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> Yes, ORC files are set up so that reading individual columns is much faster (and
reads less data) than reading the entire row.

>>> You need to call RowReaderOptions::include or includeType depending on whether
you want to select by name or id.

>>> Look at the tool code for file contents about how to do this.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/orc/blob/4e7d9c2e126cebd075f51b9d6ab2c30f4c8943c0/tools/src/FileContents.cc#L77
>>>
>>> .. Owen

extract contents of ORC files into analytical packages like R, Julia, etc, without using tools
like JDBC, etc ( which offers ability to access ORC files )

in the ORC file C++ distribution example, e.g. meta info, contents, etc. My datasets are basic
2d tables, with rows and columns, each column has very basic data types : int64, or double.
I have found the ORC file C++ access APIs very helpful and handy!

like to extract the contents of ORC files column by column. In the example that gets the file
contents made available on the ORC file C++ official website, the C++ code reads the entire
ORC file contents by batches, and within each batch, it reads the contents row by row, creating
a string version of the data, JSON like.

the user read ORC file contents column by column using the C++ APIs you guys published ? is
there speed advantage of doing this ( as opposed to read in batches, and within each batch
parse contents row by row ).

to the user , each time it reads a row element within a column, so that users can read that
into desired data type, e.g. int64, double, etc, directly without building the JSON like text
output rows ? Or there are even more there already to read a ORC file column directly into
a in-memory T* that stores the data with corresponding data type, e.g. int64, double, etc.
?