orc-user mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <owen.omal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building liborc - need position independent code
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2019 17:48:26 GMT
The current c++ build forces static libraries, based on my previous painful experience with
shared libraries on distributed systems. That said, going forward the automated configuration
tools are much better. I'd we want to enable shared libraries, we can do that.

.. Owen

> On Jan 15, 2019, at 10:10, Korry Douglas <korry@me.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the quick reply, Zhiyuan.
>
> I’ve tried your suggestion (that was how I expected the process to work), but I get
an error when I do that:

>   /usr/local/lib/libprotobuf.a(arena.cc.o): relocation R_X86_64_TPOFF32 against symbol
`_ZN6google8protobuf8internal9ArenaImpl13thread_cache_E' can not be used when making a shared
object; recompile with -fPIC

> So the link fails. (I *do* compile my .cc files with -fPIC.)
>

>              — Korry
>
>> On Jan 15, 2019, at 10:02 AM, Zhiyuan Dong <zhiyuan.dong@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This my personal $0.02.
>>
>> I have been able to use the default settings there building various supporting *.a
files in linux Ubuntu and CentOS. Then I build C++ functions into my own written *.so file
which is then linked to various *.a files... And the *.so that calls the orc functionalities
in C++ works fine.

>> Hope this helps a little bit.
>>
>> Zhiyuan
>>
>>> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 8:40 AM Korry Douglas <korry@me.com> wrote:
>>> As an alternative - is there somewhere I can find binary packages for liborc
(RPMs) ?

>>>           — Korry

C++ API).  However, the Makefiles are all set up to build .a files instead of .so files.

CFLAG (although I don’t really like editing that file by hand).  However, there are many
related libraries that seem to be downloaded from various URL’s  and those libraries are
not compiled with -fPIC.