orc-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Evans <jeffrey.wayne.ev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Orc core (Java) dependency on hadoop-common
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2018 22:55:09 GMT
Thanks, István and Owen!

I appreciate the input.  At the moment, I'm developing against
orc-core 1.4.1.  I think I will go the route of excluding
hadoop-common from the orc-core dependency and explicitly scope it as
provided.  For modules that will ultimately live in one of our Hadoop
deployments, this should work fine.  Moreover, we already adopt this
sort of packaging strategy in our project, so it wouldn't be too much
of a stretch.  For the "standalone" operation, I will probably just
create a separate module that explicitly declares hadoop-common as a
compile dependency, so those not on Hadoop can simply bring in the
same version that orc itself specifies.

I think the longer term approach you describe makes good sense,
István.  Unfortunately, given other priorities I wouldn't be able to
devote any time to it in the near future.  As far as Hadoop
versioning, I think the minimum/desired approach outlined in Owen's
message would work fine.