orc-user mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <owen.omal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: convert avro to orc
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2017 18:55:58 GMT
It would be a nice addition to the conversion tools. A first pass of
converting Avro schemas to ORC would be pretty easy with:

boolean -> boolean
int -> int
long -> long
float -> float
double -> double
bytes -> binary
string -> string
enum -> string
fixed -> binary
map<X> -> map<string,X>
array<X> -> array<X>
record<X,Y,Z> -> struct<X,Y,Z>
union<X,Y,Z> -> union<X,Y,Z>

with special handling for union<null,X> -> X

In terms of the conversion, you would just need to extend ConvertTool to
create RecordReaders for Avro. There are already examples of JSON and CSV.

.. Owen