orc-user mailing list archives

From Ben Johnson <...@timber.io>
Subject Adding columns to an existing table creates exceptions for queries that previously worked
Date Mon, 15 May 2017 16:23:44 GMT
Hi, we're using Hive 2.1.1. We have an external table defined that points to
ORC files living on S3. When we add a column to that table hive queries that
previously worked throw this exception. If we remove the column, the query works
fine.
This seems exceptionally brittle. I have a feeling this is my fault, but I
cannot pinpoint what I'm doing wrong. Is this a known issue, or os there a
setting I'm missing?

Oddly, when attempting to issue these queries in Presto using the same Hive
metastore, the queries work fine.
Any ideas what might be happening?
Thanks for your help.

BenTimber.io -Blog -Github -Twitter